Thursday, July 28, 2011

“Who Are You?”
“I am a child of God!”

 

15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

—The words of the Apostle Paul from Romans 8:15-17

 

Does anyone ever ask you any questions? Of course they do. I am quite certain that people ask you questions all the time. And, I am also quite certain that you probably ask quite a few questions yourself. “What’s for lunch?” or “Who’s your favorite football team?”

Questions offer a very important way for us to seek out and receive information. We frequently use questions to obtain information that will help us live our lives.

Sometimes questions deal with subjects that appear quite easy to answer. For example, “Hey! What’s for dinner?”

Other questions require a great deal of thought. And, maybe such questions even require us to look quite hard to find the answer. For example, if I asked you, “Who are you?” You might say to me, “I am Tom.” Or, “I am Susan.” In other words, you might answer my question by telling me your name.

Or, maybe, when I ask, “Who are you?” you might say to me, “I am a man.” Or, “I am a woman.” In other words, you might answer my question by telling me your gender.

The Bible often can give us some very interesting answers to questions that we may ask. For example, when I look in the Bible for an answer to the question, “Who are you?” the Bible gives me this answer: “You are a child of God. You belong to Him.”

Imagine that? When someone says to me: “Who are you?” I can answer, “I am a child of God. I belong to Him.” I know this statement rings true because I have the testimony of the Holy Spirit in my heart that I do, indeed, belong to God through the resurrection power of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

In October of 1956, as a nine-year-old little boy, at the end of an evangelistic service I responded to the invitation given by Rev. Oral Bradford, a visiting evangelist. Rev. Bradford prayed with me and I surrendered my life to Jesus. I acknowledged the sacrifice that Christ made for me on Calvary’s cross. From that day forward, right up to this very day, when I am asked, “Who are you?” I can quickly respond, “I am a child of God. I belong to Him.”

Do you know what? You can give that very same answer. If you have accepted God’s gift of eternal life through the Lord Jesus Christ, and I ask you, “Who are you?” you can respond, “I am a child of God. I belong to Him.”

Will you pray with me?

Thank You, God, for loving us. Thank you for sending Jesus to be our Savior. Thank you making us Your children. Help us remember that if someone asks us, “Who are you?” we can respond, “I am a child of God. I belong to Him.” We pray with thanksgiving in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

1 comment:

pat burns said...

Yes, indeed “I am a child of God. I belong to Him.”
Thank you for your message Dean. This is the first time I've visited your blog. I don't spend much time on the computer with this type of social interaction. But I thought I'd check it out.
Interesting - you were born/raised in Bradford, PA, the man that led you to Christ ~ Rev. Bradford !
Happy Happy Birthday on August 5th.
'47 ~ Twas a good year! All the best ole' friend. Hope this finds you well and happy.
Because of Him, Pat Burns