Thursday, May 17, 2012

“I Hate You!”

 

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

20 Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘‘No servant is greater than his master.’’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.

22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin. 23 He who hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’”

—The words of Jesus in John 15:18-25

 

In the last week of Jesus’ life on this earth, just prior to His crucifixion, He spent time with His disciples to prepare them for what they would likely experience once He had returned to heaven. The Scripture passage at the beginning of this blog post captures one of the more chilling instructions that Jesus gave.

He basically told His followers that the world would hate them because it hated Him.

I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced white-hot, gut-wrenching hatred from someone. I hope you’ve been spared that experience. Sadly, over the course of my life, I’ve had a few occasions where someone has made it very clear by both words and deeds that he or she truly hated me. I’m not talking about a momentary emotional outburst brought on by some passing disagreement. No, I’m describing the intense, “I would surely kill you if I could” kind of hatred that comes from someone who has fought a spiritual battle of wills, lost that battle, and turned the vitriol swirling within their psyche into a death-ray of hate, which they then pour out in your direction.

The key to understanding such hatred resides in understanding that it springs forth from spiritual warfare. The hatred comes from sin exposed, wrong doing brought to light, evil unveiled.

Jesus talked about this in the above passage when He explained to His disciples, “If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father.” Jesus tore away the cloak under which His opponents had hidden the truth of their sin. He exposed their evil intent to the glorious Light of His Presence. The cleansing power that comes from banishing darkness with Light, in turn, promoted a response wherein Christ’s opponents revealed their true feelings of hatred toward Him.

Such it will be with every believer who stands for the truth. We live in an ever-darkening world. Sin abounds more and more. Because Satan wants to destroy the body of Christ, the church, he has infiltrated the church with his emissaries. These purveyors of evil intend the destruction of the church, not by cataclysmic events, but by a slow erosion of it’s effectiveness.

Anyone who stands against evil, promotes transparency and accountability, speaks up when believers commit wrongful acts against each other—that one will come under attack. He or she will feel the burning ray of hatred.

Thanks be to God! Forewarned is forearmed. That’s why Jesus took the time to teach His followers what would come their way. He wanted them to become mentally prepared for the onslaught. He wants us to become mentally prepared for that onslaught as well.

Now, please hear me out. In defending what’s right, we must always do so in a loving, caring, respectful, yet firm manner. We must not purposely incite our opponents to hatred. But, we must also not be surprised when they direct their hatred at us. Okay?

“Well, thank you very much for an uplifting blog post!”

Yeah, you’re right. It’s always easier to write something sweet and uplifting. But as these days become darker, we need to become prepared. So, for today at least, I thought I would call attention to these worthy words of our Lord. May He guard us and keep us and cover us with the protection of His precious blood when those who oppose us scream, “ I hate you!”

Will you pray with me?

Thank You, God, for loving us. Thank You for sending Jesus to be our Savior. Thank You for sending us Your Holy Spirit to dwell within us.

Precious Father, we ask You to cover us with the blood of Your Son, Jesus, to protect us from those who would direct their hatred at us because we have taken a stand for Your truth. Please continue to fill us with the power of Your Holy Spirit that we may bend our wills to Your will in true obedience.

We thank You, Precious Father, that You daily supply us with a full measure of Your mercy and grace. And, we thank You for hearing our prayer in and through the precious Name of Your Son, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments: