Thursday, March 1, 2012

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep...

 

5 I lie down and sleep;
   I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
6 I will not fear the tens of thousands
   drawn up against me on every side.

—The words of the King David from Psalm 3:5-6

 

As a very young child I remember kneeling at the side of my bed and praying this prayer:

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.

God bless Mom and Dad.
God bless Grandma.
And God bless my uncles and aunts.
I pray in Jesus Name. Amen.

I find it interesting that, in the Scripture passage at the beginning of this blog post, King David prays a similar prayer. He wrote this Psalm at a time when he was fleeing from his son, Absalom. David had every reason to feel great fear and sadness at what his son had plotted against him.

Yet, David knew that God would keep him safe. God would hold him in the hollow of His mighty hand.

No matter what circumstance you may find yourself in today, take comfort in knowing that God loves you and will keep you safe. Indeed, God will sustain you. You will have no need to fear anyone or anything.

Hallelujah—Praise be to God!

Will you pray with me?

Thank You, God, for loving us. Thank You for sending Jesus to be our Savior. Thank You for sending us Your Holy Spirit to dwell within us.

Thank you for keeping us safe from harm. Though those who have made themselves our enemies plot against us to destroy us, to bring us down, You will sustain us. Your Presence will comfort us and allow us to lay our heads on our pillows and rest in You.

Thank You for Your watchful care. Thank You for bathing us in Your love, O God. And, thank You for hearing our prayer in and through the precious Name of Your Son, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

1 comment:

Marcia LaReau said...

Thank you Dean, for your unending encouragement and the blessings you pour out to so many.

Marcia