Thursday, October 10, 2019

What Do We Seek?

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given to you as well.”
—Matthew 6:33

Many years ago when I was a teenager, I was making quite a racket in the upstairs room I called my “studio.” It was actually a small bedroom where I had set up my “radio station.” In the room’s closet I had stored all manner of equipment and other odds and ends that I had collected over the years.

My dad came upstairs to see what all the racket was about. “What are you doing?” he asked in a puzzled voice.

“I’m just looking,” I replied, perhaps a bit too sharply out of frustration that I couldn’t find what I needed.

“What are you seeking?” my dad asked and then added, “I hope it’s worth all the trouble you’re going to in order to find whatever you’re seeking.”

His statement stopped me cold. I had become so engrossed in trying to find something I felt I needed that I wasn’t considering whether or not all the effort was really worth it. Even as “Christ’s-ones” or Christians, we need to stop and evaluate, from time to time, whether what we are seeking in life is worth the effort.

Having worked hard for many years in my business career, and having achieved a certain level of success, I became ever more frustrated with people around me who seemed to be lazily going about their lives without the same level of dedication that I felt I had. A wise friend, whose opinion I respect and highly value, once pointed out to me that in our careers we go from “Who’s he?” to Who’s who!” to “Who cares?” Hearing his words, I had to stop and ask myself whether all the effort was really worth the hours and hours I had spent, in order to achieve success in my business endeavors.

Some things are definitely worth the effort. Notice Jesus’ own words found in Matthew 6:33:

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

The Kingdom of God and His righteousness are definitely things worth working for with zeal and determination. As we begin another day, perhaps we need to evaluate where we are spending our greatest effort. And perhaps, as we make such an evaluation, we will discover that we have misplaced some of our efforts. At least it’s worth considering.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.