Friday, October 4, 2019

Have No Fear

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that
overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be your
confidence and will keep your foot from being snared.”
—Proverbs 3:25-26

Have you ever felt really afraid? I’m talking about feeling terrified. Most of us have had something happen in our lives that has produced genuine fear.

During a live fire drill back in the spring of 1968, I was ventilating the roof of a two-and-a-half story single family dwelling when the roof gave way due to the fire in the structure. I fell, albeit rather slowly, through the roof, through the second floor, through the first floor, and into the basement of the building. Fortunately, I had full turnout gear on and my helmet and breathing mask stayed in place during the fall. I was not injured at all, just a bit dazed. But, I was frightened out of my wits!

Needless to say, since I’m writing about this more than 50 years later, I made it out of the basement successfully. But, for several moments, I faced imminent death and it truly gave me such a shock of fear that I can still feel the anguish all these years later.

As we followers of Jesus walk the road of life, we can rely on God to care for us in such a marvelous way that we can put all fear aside. King Solomon wrote about this in Proverbs 3:25-26:

Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared.

Far more terrifying than falling through several floors of a burning building is the grip that sin can have on our lives. Even though our sins were forgiven by Jesus’ death and resurrection, we still can fall prey to the entanglements of sin in our lives. But, God promises to keep our feet from being snared by sin.

As we begin another new day, let’s take comfort in the truth of King Solomon’s words. Let’s rejoice that God protects us from being snared. And, let’s make certain we follow closely the pathway He has laid out before us, as we strive to represent Him well to those who connect with us along the road of life.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.