Thursday, February 7, 2019

Never-failing Compassion

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“Because of the Lord’s great love we
are not consumed, for his compassions
never fail. They are new every
morning; great is your faithfulness.”
—Lamentations 3:22-23

Do sad images on television tug at your heart? They tug at mine. When I see an advertisement for a child in need, or a pet that’s been abused, my heart breaks. When I hear a news story about a family who has lost everything in a fire, inwardly I weep for their loss.

I have often been accused of being too sentimental, too soft-hearted, too saccharine. I must plead guilty. I have always been quick to identify with the sadness or misfortune of others. And, as I have gotten older, I am no longer ashamed that God made me this way.

In writing his tales of woe, the Prophet Jeremiah turns a brighter light on a characteristic of God that we should all admire. Jeremiah writes these words in Lamentations 3:22-23:

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

No matter how things may affect us, we can learn from the God who loves us that compassion has great power in one’s life. Because God remains always compassionate, He is able to love us even though we are not lovable. In fact, God’s compassion is one of His qualities that is renewed every day.

As we begin another day, let’s learn from this attribute of God and apply it to our own lives. Let’s live as a compassionate people, always quick to show God’s love to others and to identify with their sorrows, as well as with their joys.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.