Friday, February 22, 2019

He Holds Our Hands

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“For I am the Lord your God who takes
hold of your right hand and says
to you, ‘Do not fear; I will help you.’”
—Isaiah 41:13

As a child, when you crossed the street, did your mom or dad take hold of your hand and lead you safely across? Most parents do that as a matter of course. They want to make certain their children do not run ahead of them or lag behind them. They want their children to keep pace with this dangerous task. They want to protect their children by ensuring they will stay at their side.

As children of the most high God, the Creator and Sustainer of the universe, we have the unique privilege of experiencing the amazing Presence of the One who loves us with His everlasting love. He desires to take us by the hand and lead us across the dangerous passages of our lives. By His abiding Presence, we can walk forward in safety and assurance.

The Prophet Isaiah recorded these words of God, given to the children of Israel, specifically the southern kingdom of Judah, as found in Isaiah 41:13:

“For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, ‘Do not fear; I will help you.’”

Many years ago I had the great privilege of becoming a close friend of Dr. David R. Mains. At the time, back in the late 1970s, he had taken the reigns of the radio program The Chapel of the Air from his uncle, John D. Jess. This fifteen minute program, aired Monday through Saturday on over 600 radio stations throughout the United States and Canada, had a closing theme orchestrated by David’s brother-in-law, Ronald L. Huff. Ronn’s lush arrangement offers a sweet and moving treatment of the gospel chorus “He Holds My Hand.”

Most listeners to the radio program have never heard the words to this song. But, they echo the message God gave to His chosen people, including those of us who follow Christ:

He holds my hand,
Jesus holds my hand.
Safely to heaven He leads the way.
He is my keeper from day to day.
He holds my hand,
Jesus holds my hand.
Though the way may be long,
My Savior is strong.
And, He holds my hand.

May we begin this day with the realization that God is holding our hand. He will keep us safe from the dangers that may cross our pathway. He will lead us gently along the road of life that He has laid out before us.

 

Copyright © 2019 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.