Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Pray for the Children

 

Photo of a mom praying with her daughter


“Start children off on the way they
should go, and even when they
are old they will not turn from it.”
—Proverbs 22:6

Each generation has a responsibility to pray for and to care for the generation of people who come behind it. While God did not choose to bless my wife and me with children, all through my life I have consistently prayed for my nieces and nephews, as well as for the children of our close friends. In my old age, I have added to my prayers my grand-nieces and grand-nephews, and the chldren from the church I attend.

How very, very proud I am of each one of my eleven nieces and nephews. Their parents have done such a good job raising them to love God. Eight of them attended Christian colleges: two went to Messiah College in Grantham, Pennsylvania, and six of them attended my Alma Mater, Houghton University, in Houghton, New York. As adults, they have prospered. But more so, they have lived their lives with a dedication to Christ and His Kingdom that makes my heart soar with rejoicing.

All of them are now married, all but one with children of their own, whom they are raising to love God. One dear little niece, the third oldest by birth, has been at the feet of Jesus for many years, having died in an automobile accident at age three. I long to see her, and will do so soon. I mention these dear ones to illustrate our need to employ the power of prayer, and also to illustrate the reality that no matter what life may bring, if we remain faithful in love and prayer, God will direct the steps of the children He brings into our lives.

King Solomon understood the importance of children when he wrote these words in Proverbs 22:5-6:

In the paths of the wicked are snares and pitfalls, but those who would preserve their life stay far from them. Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

I invite you to join me and to please take a moment today and pray for the children we know and for their parents. Ask God to hold each one in His protective arms. Pray that these dear ones will stay on the right pathway throughout their lives. And, thank God for His loving hand on them, even as He has kept His loving hand on us.

 

Based on a blog originally posted on Friday, April 10, 2015

Copyright © 2024 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.