Wednesday, April 1, 2020

What Do We Say?

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge
and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
—Psalm 91:2

Has anyone ever asked you for a recommendation? You know what I mean. Someone on social media asks his or her “friends” what those individuals think is the best city in the United States. Soon, a wide range of answers floods the original poster’s social media feed.

Or maybe, someone asks you how you like your new car or truck. Why did you choose that brand? What motivated you to choose that particular model? You answer honestly and offer a recommendation for the choice that you made.

When it comes to spiritual life, I wonder how quickly we offer our recommendations regarding our faith in God, the redeeming power of His Son, Jesus, and the guiding hand of the Holy Spirit. When asked about why we’re Christians, how quickly and how thoroughly do we answer? What do we tell those who wonder why we believe the way we do?

The Psalmist knows exactly how he intends to answer such a question about his faith. In fact, he has written a song about, the first part of which is found in Psalm 91:2:

I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

“What do you say about the Lord, Psalmist?”

“He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

As we begin another new day, we ought to spend a few moments thinking about how we would respond if someone asks us about our faith in God. What would we say? What qualities has God revealed to us of Himself that bring us joy and excitement? What qualities promote peace and wonder in our hearts?

It is a good thing to know why we believe the way we do. Just as we know what city we like best, or what car we prefer to drive, we should know why we have responded as we have to the choosing that God has made of us when He drew us irresistibly to Himself.

 

Copyright © 2020 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.