Thursday, September 6, 2012

“Did Anyone Even Notice?”

 

10 God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.

—The words of the writer of Hebrews from Hebrews 6:10

 

“Why should I continue to go out of my way doing kind deeds for others? Nobody recognizes the sacrifice involved on my part. They just take what I do for granted!”

Ever feel that way? How about this?

“I guess I’m foolish to continue giving money the way I do. Because the business has done well others ask for help as though I owed it to them. Why if I added up all I’ve given as a Christian during my life time, the total would stagger people … No, on second thought, it probably wouldn’t mean a thing to anybody, except me!”

“Some of the best years of my life I gave to those people, but now that I’m older, they act as though I never existed. When I was younger I think we respected age more than they do now-a-days. I guess I feel as though the contribution I made in my time should entitle me to at least a sense of dignity during these, my closing years.”

“Because I do a good job teaching Sunday School, people just assume it comes easy for me. I wonder if they realize how many nights I’ve stayed up making sure my words would be clearly understood the next morning, or the numerous times my family has not gone somewhere on Saturdays to protect my lesson preparation, or the hours I’ve invested in prayer? But lately I have a feeling the class is getting a lot more from me than I am from them, and their response makes me wonder if it’s really worth all the effort I put into it!”

Do you identify at all with the kind of things I’m saying? Having invested a great deal in ministry of one kind or another, you’re now wondering if anyone even notices what you do.

In October of 1978, the Christian radio station where I volunteered for an on-air shift every Saturday morning from 6:00 a.m. to Noon held its annual banquet. Rev. David R. Mains of The Chapel of the Air was the scheduled speaker. For three years I had prayed asking God to show me a truly godly man who could speak to me in a way that would transform my life.

As I sat in the audience, Rev. Mains began a message based on one of his broadcasts that had the same title that I have used for this blog post. As I listened I felt my pulse quicken and my attention became riveted. I was hanging on every word. While I cannot possibly recreate that moment for you in this blog post, please let me share a few of the words he said that evening that literally changed my life forever.

Twice now I’ve read through J.R.R. Tolkien’s massive three-volume set, The Lord of the Rings. And, each time I’ve made it all right through the thousand-plus pages of excitement and adventure as little Frodo Baggins and his company perform superhuman exploits while saving Middle Earth from the dark cloud of the evil Lord Sauron. But, when Frodo returns home to the simple shire from which he came, and none of his fellow Hobbits appreciate, or are even aware, of his heroics, I have to confess, both times tears came to my eyes as I tried to read.

“Frodo dropped quietly out of all the doings of the Shire, and Sam Gamgee was pained to notice how little honor his master had in his own country. Few people knew or wanted to know about his deeds and adventures,” writes Tolkien. And, in those words, I’m afraid the author describes the experience of too many faithful, but unsung, Christian warriors.

Well, I presume there have been many days you’ve attended a worship service to be encouraged, but instead heard the one preaching give yet another challenge. Or, you came to worship disheartened and felt the sermon only added to your pain. But, then I’m glad you are here today, because I’ve felt a divine nudge to focus our thoughts on Hebrews chapter 6, verse 10:
“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.”
And, those words, interestingly enough, come from a writer I can’t even credit. Because no one’s sure who penned the book of Hebrews. If I resay in my own way what was written, it comes out like this — “Be reminded that God is aware of all your efforts on His behalf.”

Let me give you the verse and that sentence again—Hebrews 6:10:
“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.”
And, I put it this way in my key sentence for this time together: “Be reminded that God is aware of all your efforts on His behalf.”

What I’m sharing is not just represented by this isolated text. This truth, about God being sensitive regarding all we do in a quiet fashion for Christ and his Kingdom, is found consistently throughout the Bible. Allow me to share a couple of other examples.

Here are Christ’s words in Revelation 2:2-3 to the church at Ephesus:
“I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.”
In Acts 10:1-4, do you remember the message of God’s angel to Cornelius, the devout centurion? That passage reads:
“At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!” Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked. The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God...”
In the Old Testament, the prophets even make use of this truth to try to tenderly draw Israel back to God. Listen to Jeremiah 2:1-2:
“The word of the LORD came to me: ‘Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem: “I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert, through a land not sown.”’”
Here’s Isaiah 45:14:
“But Zion said, ‘The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.’”
In verse 15, God responds:
“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.”
Maybe the awareness of such a truth is what prompts Nehemiah to feel comfortable adding several times to the record of his deeds, words like these from Nehemiah 13:14:
“Remember me for this, O my God, and do not blot out what I have so faithfully done for the house of my God and its services.”
When I was younger, I used to chuckle at those verses, feeling they showed a lack of spiritual maturity on the part of Nehemiah. Now, I identify very much with his feelings. Yes, as a servant of God, Nehemiah had accomplished what the Lord had asked of him. But, the ingredients of human frailty and shortcomings were also a part of the mix of his time. So, because of the lack of perfection in what was accomplished, Nehemiah recounts his efforts for good and writes, “Now God, please don’t YOU miss what I’ve attempted to do!”

Have you ever felt that way?

Before she died, my mother talked about the time many years ago, when, as lay people with three young children, she and my father were deeply involved in getting a new church off the ground in downstate Illinois. Now that ministry is quite large. But then, the going was nip and tuck. Why I have personal memories of countless guest speakers being served endless meals at our home. And, I remember my mom and dad as laypeople doing yeoman duty in a thousand different ways. Worn out from probably too much serving, my mom told me of sometimes almost dreading to go to another meeting. Then one evening, a now nameless preacher spoke on the subject of God keeping Himself apprised of all we do on His behalf. “The Lord is not unaware of your sacrifices,” he reminded the congregation. And, my mom said it sounded so good, she just wept.

Well that’s what I believe God wants to say once again to you, some of God’s most special children. And, he’s simply using my voice to convey His thoughts your way!

You ask, “Did anyone really even notice? ...
  • The work for God we did in that hard land so far away?
  • The poor who found hope because I was kind and anonymous?
  • The phone calls I made that brought encouragement?
  • The hundreds of times we were there when the choir met?
  • The way the sanctuary was always clean?
  • The letters and reports and bulletins that were typed so carefully?
  • The meals that were taken to people in need?
  • The notes of encouragement I wrote?
  • The babies to whom I showed love?
  • The countless small, but generous deeds, we performed considering our limited resources?
  • The records that were kept so carefully?
  • The many trips I made to the hospital?

Really now, did anyone notice? I mean was even one person aware of my efforts?

The answer my friend is “yes!”—God was aware. He didn’t miss a thing! Every bit of it was taken in by Him. And, I know it’s not a profound truth, but to me it somehow seemed important that you have this verse brought to your remembrance:
“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.”
Now I’m aware that it’s not a normal thing to pray in the middle of a sermon time. But, if you wouldn’t mind, I’d like to bring some of you before the Lord right now. Will you pray with me?
Our Father in heaven—could I ask You to minister now in a special way to our dear ones gathered here in this place today who sense others receive credit for their efforts, but not them. I would think You should be able to identify with the feelings of these people. After all, You seldom receive the thanks You deserve for Your numberless acts of kindness on our behalf and those many times of love unacknowledged. Be close to them, will You, as they experience this same pain You have known so long?

I would be grateful, Father, if You could handle the details of letting this believer and that one and many others as well, know that indeed their names are ever before You—yea they are written on the very palms of Your hands. Like Nehemiah, I feel many would say right now, “Remember me, O my God, I’m the one who’s been trying to be faithful in Your service.”

Could You through a special word or letter or surprise or answer to prayer or just any one of the countless ways You involve Yourself in this world, see to it that they are soon reminded once again that You observe everything and care very much? Thank You, Father. And, I pray in the Precious Name of Jesus. Amen.
Just a final quick word. If you’re looking for a way to respond in obedience to this reminder from the Lord, let me suggest that you memorize Hebrews 6:10. If you do so, the truth of this moment will always be yours.
“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.”
Once again, here’s a sentence to help you remember the thrust of this time together: “Be reminded that God is aware of all your efforts on His behalf.”

__________________

 

I cannot begin to adequately express how much that sermon meant to me on the cold October Saturday night more than 34 years ago. David Mains words touched a deep wound in my heart that had far too long kept me from obediently following Jesus. I hope that, by sharing these words with you at this singular time, God will touch you in some very special way, just like He did me.

Will you pray with me?

Thank You, God, for loving us. Thank You for sending Jesus to be our Savior. Thank You for sending us Your Holy Spirit to dwell within us.

Thank You, Precious Father, for the words from the writer of Hebrews that affirms Your recognition, Your love, and Your appreciation for we who belong to You. We want to surrender the totality of our lives to You, so we may serve You with all of our hearts.

Please help us, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, to bend our wills to Your perfect will. Encourage us along the pathway You have laid out for us. And, thank You for hearing our prayer in and through the precious Name of Your Son, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

________________

Author’s Note: I am indebted to my spiritual mentor, Rev. Dr. David R. Mains, who many years ago, as described in this blog post, preached a message at a radio station banquet taken from his radio broadcast, The Chapel of the Air, entitled “Did Anyone Even Notice?” I have quoted extensively from this message to form the basis of this blog post. My gratitude for the enormous influence David Mains has had on my life remains overwhelming.

Copyright © 2012 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments: