Monday, November 12, 2018

With the Voice of Thunder

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; he
does great things beyond our understanding.”
—Job 37:5

Some people and most pets do not like thunder and lightning. I am one who delights in an electrical storm.

As a small boy, I used to sit on the open front porch of our modest home in Bradford, Pennsylvania. The porch faced in a southeasterly direction. As a summer thunderstorm moved over the hills, blown by a southeasterly wind, I can remember “feeling” the storm in the air before I heard the first peal of thunder, or saw the first flash of lightning. The air would begin to feel very heavy and moist. A sweet scent would permeate the air. I later learned that scent came from ozone produced by the distant electrical activity of the storm.

Within minutes of that sense that a storm was coming, I would see a lightning flash. I would count to myself, “one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three…” BOOM! A clap of thunder would echo across the inland valley. Then, another flash would light the horizon. Another peal of thunder would follow. The storm was getting closer.

Next, the first few drops of rain would start to fall. The odor of ozone in the air would be replaced by a fresh dew-like smell of cleansing water. The pace of the rainfall would quicken. Suddenly, the heavens would open and the storm would unleash its fury. I loved it! I loved every minute of it! I loved the cool, moist breeze that would wash over me on that front porch. I loved the flashes of lightning and staccato peals of thunder. Each storm possessed immense power. I felt mesmerized by that display of power.

The Patriarch Job’s “friend” Elihu was very familiar with the storms that would move across the desert. He understood the power of such a storm. He welcomed the cleansing of the dust and grit that the storm would bring. No wonder that Elihu likened the movement of God to the power of a storm. Notice what Elihu said, as recorded in Job 37:5:

God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.

Just as the power of a storm captures the imagination of weather scientists and small boys, so does the movement of God capture the imagination in the lives of His followers. God’s power is unfathomable. His grace is overwhelming. His love is without measure. His peace is all pervasive.

As we begin a new day, let’s recognize the enormous power of our Holy God. He is the Lord of our lives. He is our Father. He is our Redeemer. He is our everything. And, how blessed we are that we belong to Him and that His power is ours.

 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.