Thursday, November 1, 2018

Complete in Jesus

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“In Christ, all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily
form, and you have been given fullness in Christ,
who is the head over every power and authority.”
—Colossians 2:9-10

“Until I met Jesus,” new believers are often heard to say, “there was something missing in my life. There was a hole in my being that nothing could fill. Now, I feel as if I am complete.”

I have shared in a previous blog post the words to a hymn that Clara T. Williams wrote in 1875. Entitled “Satisfied,” this hymn expresses the thoughts of so many new believers in the life-transforming power of the living Lord Jesus Christ:

All my life long I had panted
For a draught from some cool spring,
That I hoped would quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within.

Refrain: Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

Feeding on the husks around me,
Till my strength was almost gone,
Longed my soul for something better,
Only still to hunger on.

Refrain: Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

Poor I was, and sought for riches,
Something that would satisfy,
But the dust I gathered round me
Only mocked my soul’s sad cry.

Refrain: Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

Well of water, ever springing,
Bread of life so rich and free,
Untold wealth that never faileth,
My Redeemer is to me.

Refrain: Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings,
Through His blood I now am saved.

This song, and the thoughts of new believers, parallels the message that the Apostle Paul wrote to the Christians gathered at the church in Colosse, as recorded in Colossians 2:9-10:

In Christ, all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

In the Authorized or King James Version of Scripture, the phrase that the New International Version translates “and you have been given fullness in Christ” is translated “And ye are complete in Him.” Certainly, being complete in Jesus does indeed indicate that we have received from Him the fullness of life.

Without Him in our lives, we can feel a definite emptiness. With Him present, He replaces that emptiness with a fullness of joy, a fullness of peace, a fullness of delight, a fullness of grace, a fullness of mercy, and a fullness of love.

As we awaken to a new day, let’s rejoice that, in Christ, God has made us complete. We are no longer needy, hungry souls. We are filled to overflowing with all of God’s precious mercies. And, that surely is a reason to celebrate.

______________________

The late Donald Doig sings Williams’ beautiful words with the haunting melody written by Ralph E. Hudson, that I hope you will enjoy:

[Graphic of a play music arrow]


 

Copyright © 2018 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.