Wednesday, July 5, 2017

For the Sake of His Name

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, he
refreshes my soul. He guides me along
the right paths for his name’s sake.”
—Psalm 23:1-3

Did you ever wonder why God does certain things the way that He does? I have written in this blog many times about the fact that we cannot possibly fully know or understand the mind of God this side of heaven. Why? Because God is so far above us in every way, we cannot possible comprehend Him.

And yet, there are certain things we can know about God because He has chosen to reveal them to us in His precious Word, the Bible.

For example, why does God choose to lead us and guide us along the pathway He has laid out before us? King David offers us an answer in the first few verses of his famous Psalm 23. Here are verses 1 through 3:

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

Why does God lead us along the right paths? He does so for the sake of His name.

You see, God has a reputation that He will always keep securely in mind. He is a loving, faithful God who extends His mercy and grace to those He has called to belong to Himself. Thus, He leads us along the right paths for the sake of His name.

As another day dawns and stretches out before us, we can move confidently into this new day knowing that God will lead us and guide us. He does this because He loves us and because He desires to preserve His reputation.

How joyful for us to know that He is always faithful for the sake of His great name.

 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.