Friday, June 16, 2017

Impress Them On Your Children

 

[Photo of a Scripture verse]


“These commandments that I give you today
are to be on your hearts. Impress them on
your children. Talk about them when you
sit at home and when you walk along the
road, when you lie down and when you get up.”
—Deuteronomy 6:6-7

God has never blessed me with children. But, I still realize that it’s an awesome responsibility to raise a child.

In laying the foundation with God’s Chosen People, the Jews, God gave some very specific instructions on how to help parents instill the articles of faith within the hearts and minds of each succeeding generation. Note these words of Moses from Deuteronomy 6:6-7:

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

The most important people with whom we share what God has done for us through His Son, Jesus, is our children. We must not neglect our children. Nothing in this life is more important than helping our children learn more and more about Jesus.

I sit on the sidelines and grieve, as I watch Christian parents get all excited about sending their children to one of the Ivy League universities. They talk about how the prestige of a Harvard, or Yale, or Princeton education will set their children up for life.

I grieve because I know from my own personal experience that the very best education available for Christian children is found at an Evangelical Christian college or university. I will put my education at Houghton College up against the education of anyone I know. Every aspect of my college life was infused with Christian love and Christian discipleship.

My professors were committed Christians. They were significant scholars in their various fields of study. We had some of the most renowned speakers from the Christian world in our daily chapel services. We had opportunities for Christian service in a wide variety of settings. We formed friendships with other Christians that have lasted a lifetime. Many of my classmates married someone they met at that Christian college—a spouse who shares their worldview and believes as we believe.

It grieves me when I see Christian parents sending their children to secular universities, especially when unbelievably better Christian colleges and universities are available in the particular field of study. Nevertheless, I will continue to champion the cause of a Christian college or university education.

And, as we begin another day, let’s remember that training our children to become disciples of Jesus is, perhaps, the most important thing we will ever do.

 

Copyright © 2017 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.