Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Your Consolation Brings Me Joy

 

[Photo of a field of flowers with a Scripture verse superimposed]


“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
—Psalm 94:19

What is the source of joy in our lives? I’m not asking about “happiness.” I’m asking about “joy.” These are two very different and certainly most distinct qualities.

I once heard a pastor tell his congregation that “happiness” is a quality of a child that emphasizes feelings of the moment, while “joy” is a quality of a more mature person who measures the qualities of life over a longer period of time. So, it seems that joy is a quality of life that is the result of a more extended period of time.

I ask again, “What is the source of joy in our lives?”

Is it a nice house, a particularly fine car or truck, a worthwhile job, a family of a lovely spouse and children or grandchildren, a position of responsibility? What brings us true and lasting joy?

The Psalmist seems to look at joy in a much more spiritual way when he wrote these words recorded in Psalm 94:18-19:

When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.

God longs to give each of us His long-lasting and soul-filling joy. It’s good for us to remember this when we move out into this new day. God is our source of joy. His love and caring truly helps us overcome those things that might rob us of our joy.

Let’s start this day with thankfulness to the God who loves us with His unfailing, undying love. He is the one who gives us joy overflowing.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.