Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Light-giving Words

 

[Photo of a sunrise with a Scripture verse superimposed]


“The unfolding of your words gives light;
it gives understanding to the simple.”
—Psalm 119:130

As i began to think about this blog post and reviewed the Scripture verse for today, I had to stop and ask myself whether my words give light or darkness.

I have always had a far-too-quick temper. I get angry every time I hear certain political commentary on the television. One good friend has suggested that I simply stop watching the news and commentary programs. While I realize that offers a possible solution, I also know that I intend to remain informed about what’s going on in the world.

More than my occasional temper flares, I’m far more concerned about whether the words I say in my normal talking bring light or darkness into my conversations. Does my critical spirit harm others because I am not speaking words that would bring light?

I know one thing, the Psalmist, in speaking about God, made it very clear in Psalm 119:130:

The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.

If God’s words give light, shouldn’t our words give light, as well? I think they should. And, I think that is a good thing to focus on at the beginning of this new day: making certain our words bring light rather than darkness into every situation.

I feel that challenge very strongly and I hope you do, too.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.