Thursday, September 1, 2016

God Is My Shield

 

[Photo of knight with a shield with a Scripture verse superimposed]


“You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.”
—Psalm 119:114

When someone attacks us physically, the very first, almost automatic, reaction is to raise our hands and arms and try to shield our head and face from injury. Even in a war zone, soldiers wear helmets and body armor. The body armor protects the major mass of their human form, while the helmet protects their head.

In battles of yesteryear, soldiers carried shields to be able to fed off the arrows flung at them by their enemies. The shield did require them to hold it with one of their hands, so they only had the other hand free to fight. Some higher ranking soldiers had young men who acted as shield-bearers to carry their heavy shields until they needed that protection in battle.

In our battle against our enemy, Satan, God has given us the most marvelous shield: Himself. As the Psalmist declares in Psalm 119:114:

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

God is the one who shields us from the deadly arrows that Satan flings at us. Yes, we do experience the trauma of life’s woes. But, we cannot be fatally wounded, as long as we trust God to protect us for the fiery darts.

Let us go out into this day with confidence knowing that God will shield us from the severe attacks of the enemy. We can trust Him to guard us and guide us all through the day.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.