Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Food for Life

 

[Photo of a loaf of bread with words superimposed]


“Man shall not live on bread alone, but on
every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
—Matthew 4:4

I really enjoy eating those foods that I choose to pursue. I say “pursue” because I am basically a pretty picky eater. And yet, when I say that, people often respond, “But, you eat at McDonald’s nearly seven days every week!”

I know. It strains credulity, doesn’t it? But, I like McDonald’s. I prefer it to Burger King and Wendy’s, although I occasionally eat at both those establishments. What can I say, I really like a double cheeseburger, two extra slices of cheese, extra onion, no pickle, and a large Diet Coke. And yes, I know the Diet Coke doesn’t seem to fit. As a diabetic, I feel I must make some concession.

I should also make clear that I love steak, especially filet mignon. My most favorite restaurant in various places where I used to travel was Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. I also did have the opportunity to have lunch one day at Peter Luger’s Steakhouse in New York City. And that experience is a once-in-a-lifetime never-to-be-forgotten delight.

We need food to survive. We also choose to eat certain things because, well, we like them. That’s why it is important what we choose to consume insofar as our four human modalities are concerned: heart, soul, mind, and strength. We need to carefully consume only those things that will properly feed our heart, soul, and mind, as well as will feed our strength.

Our Lord Jesus Christ gave those of us who follow Him a very wise example when He responded to Satan’s tempting in the wilderness, as recorded in Matthew 4:1-4:

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.

The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

The food we earnestly seek for our heart, mind, and soul should come from the Word of God, the Bible. We will find God’s instruction for holy living. We will learn how God has related to those He loves. We will learn what pleases God and what displeases Him.

Frankly, there is no better food than that—and our response should be praise and thanksgiving to the God who loves us.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.