Monday, July 11, 2016

Safe in the Storms

 

[Photo of a small boat on a vast ocean with words superimposed]


“But the Lord is faithful…”
—2 Thessalonians 3:3a

Have you ever felt threatened by the circumstances into which you’ve gotten yourself? I am not a particularly brave person. I work hard to avoid danger. At least I usually do.

Once, when I was a young teenager staying for a week on Lake Chautauqua in western New York state, I joined three of my friends to travel by boat several miles up the Lake to the Chautauqua Institution for an evening concert in the large amphitheater.

As soon as we boarded the small 14-foot runabout for the trip back to our cottage, it began to storm. The wind blew, lightning filled the sky, and a heavy rain washed over the boat. I was terrified. All I could think of was Jesus and His disciples crossing the Lake of Gennesaret (Sea of Galilee) in the famous storm recorded in Mark 4:35-41.

I prayed. I sang hymns. I thought we would all drown. But, obviously, we made it safely back to the cottage.

Every one of us faces storms, as we travel through life: health issues, relationship issue, financial issues, work issues, church issues, and so forth. God is always right there with us during these storms.

The Apostle Paul wrote these words in 2 Thessalonians 3:3:

But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.

When Satan tries to destroy us by bringing storms our way, God will protect us. He will hold us safely in the hollow of His mighty hand.

We can face the storms in our lives without fear. God is always with us. He will protect us and see us safely through those storms that come our way.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.