Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Be Still

 

[Photo of a tree with words superimposed]


“He says, ‘Be still, and know that
I am God; I will be exalted among the
nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’

“The Lord Almighty is with us; the
God of Jacob is our fortress.”
—Psalm 46:10-11

During my wife’s 30-plus years as an elementary and middle school music teacher, she encountered a wide range of interesting fellow teachers.

One lady became so used to trying to quiet the children in her classroom, that she began to idiosyncratically punctuate her phrases in normal conversation with a “shushing” sound.

We do live in a noise-filled world. Some noise exists as ambient sounds, some noise we make ourselves. This apparently is not a new phenomenon.

The Psalmist had to urge those singing his words from Psalm 46:10-11 to heed God’s instruction:

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

In order to experience the fullness of God’s Presence, we sometimes need to silence the din of the world around us.

Let’s determine to take time this day to silently wait on God and, then, to bask in the glory of His Presence.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.