Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Victory is Ours

 

[Photo of a man at the cross with words superimposed]


“He gives us the victory through
our Lord Jesus Christ.”
—1 Corinthians 15:57b

I grew up in a wonderful church. It was a warm, loving, family environment. Compared to what I experienced in the world outside of the church, the world inside the church was a little bit of heaven.

We were Fundamentalists. But, as a child I didn't know any better. In my old age, I have come to appreciate, more and more, the foundation that was laid during my formative years.

We met for worship on both Sunday morning and Sunday evening. We had youth group on Sunday, too, in the late afternoon. We also met for prayer meeting on Wednesday evenings. And, we had Youth for Christ rallies twice each month on Saturday nights, District Youth Fellowship meeting once each month on Saturday night, and also went bowling or rollerskating the other Saturday night. On those months with five Saturdays, I would be beside myself because we had no scheduled activity.

We sang lots of gospel hymns, songs, and choruses. One of my favorites was “Victory in Jesus” by Eugene Bartlett. The chorus contained these stirring words:

O victory in Jesus my Savior forever.
He sought me and bought me
With His redeeming blood.
He loved me ere I knew Him
And all my love is due Him.
He plunged me to victory
Beneath the cleansing flood.

This gospel song echoes the words of the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:55-57:

“Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?”

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.

But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

As we begin this new day, let us rest in the victory that our Savior has already won for us. And, let us be always ready to share the good news of God’s redeeming love with every person we meet.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.