Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Right Kind of “Know-It-All”

 

[Graphic of a sign]


“…make every effort to add to your faith…”
—Peter 1:5a

People have complained about me all my life that I’m a “Know-It-All.” I confess that I do have the annoying habit of always feeling motivated to offer my opinion. I suspect people might find me much more tolerable if I would just keep my comments to myself.

There actually is a kind of “Know-It-All” that Scripture celebrates. Please take note of these words from the Apostle Peter in 2 Peter 1:5-8:

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The kind of “Know-It-All” who adds to his or her faith the qualities listed in the above verses truly would become more effective and more productive.

Please join me this day in asking the Holy Spirit to give us a full measure of goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, and love. Truly, if God answers our earnest prayers for these critically important qualities, we will be very blessed.

And, by the way, pray for me that, by keeping my opinions to myself, I will become much less annoying. Okay?

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.