Friday, January 29, 2016

Planning the Good

 

[Photo of heart-shaped clouds with words superimposed]


“Do not those who plot evil go astray?”
—Proverbs 14:22a

I hope you’ve never been the target of an evil plan. It’s not a pleasant experience. In fact, it’s a horrible experience.

After I retired from full-time employment in 2003, the senior pastor of the church I attended at the time recruited me to come work with him to help repair a dangerously low staff morale and improve the communications within the church and between the church and the world outside the church.

For five-and-a-half years I volunteered virtually full time and saw many positive improvements on both fronts. But, some people in the church plotted against me.

When a new pastor came, these people convinced him, even before he actually arrived on the scene, that I and two other key staff members would have to go. So, they joined forces to plot against us and forced us out.

I cannot begin to describe the trauma this caused in my life, and more so in the lives of my two colleagues. I can say with certainty that the worst and most unfair treatment I have received in my life came at the hands of people who were my brothers and sisters in Christ.

For this very same reason in his own life, King Solomon made this declaration in Proverbs 14:22:

Do not those who plot evil go astray? But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness.

I hope you never have someone plot against you. If you do, please take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. After all, Jesus was the subject of a terrible plot against Him by the religious leaders of His day.

And, even more important, I hope you have never plotted against someone to harm them. If you have, you must follow these steps:

  1. confess what you have done

  2. repent of your actions

  3. make restitution for the harm you’ve caused, and

  4. seek complete restoration with the brother or sister in Christ whom you have harmed.

God does not honor those who plot evil against one of His dearly loved children. And, He holds those who focus on doing good in a special place in His heart.

So go about planning good. Flee from plotting evil. Your reward will be the peace of God that passes all understanding.

 

Copyright © 2016 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.