Friday, July 3, 2015

Living in the Present

 

[Photo of autumn leaves with words superimposed]


“Do not boast about tomorrow, for you
do not know what a day may bring.”
—Proverbs 27:1

As a child, I often would stare at the calendar hanging on the wall in our kitchen. My mom would write appointments and other upcoming events on that calendar. I would daydream about what was going to happen in the future.

Sometimes, I would complain to my dad about how far away in time some event seemed to be. I would tell him that I wished the event would happen tomorrow.

Wisely, my dad would often reply, “Son, don’t wish your life away.”

King Solomon agreed with my dad when he wrote the following in Proverbs 27:1:

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

Even more so, our blessed Lord Jesus Christ reinforced King Solomon’s admonition when He told His disciples the words the Apostle Matthew recorded in Matthew 6:33-34:

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

As we move into another day, let’s determine to live fully in the present knowing that whatever lies ahead on our road of life the God who loves us with His everlasting love will see us through.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.