Friday, May 8, 2015

Clinging to God

 

[Graphic of a sign]


“Do not be anxious about anything, but in
every situation, by prayer and petition, with
thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
—Philippians 4:6

Certain passages of Scripture often come to mind when we face a new day. For example, I have always been a bit of a “worrier.” My Concrete-Sequential Mind Style™ constantly resists change, analyzes what’s happening around me, and focuses laser-like on anything negative.

I’ve described myself in other blog posts as not only seeing the glass half full, but also noting that the glass is cracked and the water is dirty.

Because I am the way I am, I particularly need the admonition of the Apostle Paul, as recorded in Philippians 4:4-7, to stay in the forefront of my thinking:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Maybe you need these words today, too. Perhaps you’re facing something that’s unpleasant or worrisome. You may not be as neurotic about such matters as I am, but you still have some things in your life that worry you and produce anxiety.

All throughout this day, we have the privilege of knowing that the unfailing love of the God of True Peace will be our portion.

Let us cling to Him and release all our concerns into His care. And, by His grace, may our “gentleness be evident to all.”

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.