Thursday, April 16, 2015

A Seed of Generosity

 

[Photo of food boxes ready for delivery]


“These women were helping to support
them out of their own means.”
—Luke 8:3

“Come with me, Dean.”

Paul Colburn was an amazing man. Quiet, humble, extremely careful and precise, Paul had pulled himself up from humble beginnings. He used the GI Bill after World War II to put himself through a jewelers’ school and opened a very tiny watch repair business in a remodeled front porch of his house.

By the late 1950s, Paul had done well enough that he could build a modern two-story building in a shopping district a few blocks from his original location. Paul and his wife lived on the second floor and operated an expanded full-service jewelry store on the first floor.

In early 1960, Paul asked me if I wanted a job. I had been working at a boat store, two doors down the block, wiring boats. But, the end of summer put an end to my job.

So, I began to work for Paul: engraving trophies, bracelets, and watches; doing some simple repairs on Westclock Big Ben and Little Ben clocks; shoveling snow; washing windows; sweeping floors; and doing inventory.

On this day, a few days before Thanksgiving, Paul led me into the garage behind the store. Twelve big boxes of groceries were lined up along one wall. We loaded the groceries into Paul’s car and pulled into the alley.

The first house we stopped at was barely more than a shack. The minute we stepped through the door, the stench of poverty assailed my nostrils. We carefully set two boxes of groceries down on the dirty linoleum flooring. Paul said a few words to the woman who stood there surrounded by four small children.

We repeated this at several houses until we had delivered all the boxes of groceries.

I sat beside Paul in stunned silence as we drove back to the store. I lived in very modest circumstances, but compared to the families we visited that day, I lived in unimaginable luxury.

“Thanks!” Paul said simply. “To whom much has been given, much is required…” he concluded, quoting Luke 12:48.

I have never forgotten that day. It motivated me to hold all that I have in an open hand. (It also got me in trouble when my generosity exceeded my means—but that’s a story I've narrated in another blog post.)

God wants those whom He has called to Himself to be His dearly loved children to be quick to help others who are truly in need. Notice what Dr. Luke wrote in Luke 8:1-3:

After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God.

The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary called Magdalene from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others.

These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

Here we see that these women, who became devoted followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, graciously provided financial support from their own resources.

Scripture teaches us “Christ-ones” (Christians) many lessons. Among those lessons is to quickly move to help those who genuinely need help.

What a blessing it is for us to cheerfully and joyfully comply with these wishes of our Great King.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.