Tuesday, March 24, 2015

“You’re Being Watched!”

 

[Photo of a close-up of a woman's eye]


“…walk in the way of love…”
—Ephesians 5:1

“You’re being watched!”

Does that phrase startle you? Does it create fear? Apprehension? Concern?

It’s true that every person who claims the name of Jesus, every disciple, every “Christ-one,” is being watched every day by the people who cross the pathway of their lives.

How well do you and I represent Jesus? How well do we handle joys? How well do we handle sorrows? When adversity comes our way, how do we react?

Do we take every change in our lives with the same grace that our Savior would show? When someone does something that impacts negatively on our lives, do we respond the way Jesus would?

You see, people watch us every day to see if we act like we belong to the King of Kings. Do we show the kind of loving clarity that Jesus would show?

In writing to the Christians gathered in the house churches in Ephesus, the Apostle Paul offered this advice in Ephesians 5:1-2, 8, 10, and 15-17:

Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light and find out what pleases the Lord.

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.

Someone is watching you. That one wants to see if your faith in God is real. He or she wants to measure whether devoting your life to Christ has made the kind of transformation in your behavior that validates the truth and integrity of what you may say.

Many years ago a man who worked at the insurance company where I worked approached me. He asked me if he could talk to me.

“I don't quite know how to put this,” he said, “but my wife has recently become one of those born again Christians. I would like to buy her a Christmas present that would let her know I love and support her, even though I don’t understand this decision she has made.”

“How can I help?” I asked.

“She told me that one of her new friends has a book in which she can find where any word is mentioned in the Bible. How do I get one of those books?”

“Well, that book is called a Concordance” I explained. “It looks like this.” (In God’s Providence, I just happened to keep a Concordance on my cubicle bookshelf.) After he looked at it, I then explained where he could buy one.

That encounter was the first of many conversations over the next year. Finally one day, he came to me with a huge smile on his face and just the hint of happy tears in his eyes. That’s right, you probably have guessed it. He had prayed and acknowledged Jesus as His personal Savior.

Why did this man come to me with his initial question? Because he had been watching me. I never preached to him. I never declared my faith to him. But, when it came time to ask his question, he came to me knowing I would help him.

Every single day, every one of us is being watched by people who need a life-transforming encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ.

In a world where people are always trying to deceive others, we should be “what-you-see-is-what-you-get” people: people of Truth; people of Light.

Let’s make a choice to live in a way that honors the trust our King has placed in us to represent Him well to a needy world.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.