Friday, February 6, 2015

Helping the Truly Needy

 

[Photo of rag-covered feet]


“Who is like you, Lord?”
—Psalm 35:10a

One of the characteristics of God is that He is no respecter of persons. Someone’s status in this life matters little to Him.

In fact, He seems very interested in reaching out to those who are utterly unable to help themselves.

One of the problems I have always had throughout my life is that I have seldom been able to tell the difference between the truly helpless and the clueless. The real problem for me is that, because I couldn’t tell the difference, I have tended to do very little. Of this inaction, I humbly repent.

I can no longer withhold God’s love from the poor simply because I can’t tell who is truly needy. Instead, I must now try harder to celebrate the same attribute of God that the Psalmist celebrated in Psalm 35:10:

My whole being will exclaim,“Who is like you, Lord? You rescue the poor from those too strong for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them.”

We need to be instruments of God’s love and grace by showing compassion to those who genuinely need our help. That obedience on our part will surely please our King.

In Jesus’ own words from Matthew 25:34-40:

Then the King will say to those on his right, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”

Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?”

The King will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”

And, how shall we respond to Jesus’ words? Let me suggest that you join with me in this prayer:

Precious Father,

In deep humility, we bow before you to ask You to please enable us to heed Your words. Empower us by Your Holy Spirit to obediently follow Your leading in reaching out to those in need. Help us that in so doing we may honor the name of Your Son, Jesus. Amen.

 

Copyright © 2015 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.