Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Worthy of Worship

 

[Graphic of a quote by N. T. Wright]


“I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart…”
—Psalm 138:1

The word “worship,” like so many other words with deeply spiritual meanings, has become weakened by secular overuse. The word intends to embody deep commitment and devotion toward someone or something that the worshipper believes has supernatural power.

Today, we hear TV hosts tell contestants in musical reality shows that, “All the nation is worshipping you after hearing you sing that song!”

As talented as a singer might be, he or she does not posses supernatural power. Nor do sports teams, or fast cars, or beauty queens, or political figures, or, well, you choose any current object of worship in our twisted culture. None of them are worthy of worship.

The Psalmist knew the only One who was worthy of worship when he wrote these words in Psalm 138:1-3:

I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart; before the ‘gods’ I will sing your praise.

I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your unfailing love and your faithfulness, for you have so exalted your solemn decree that it surpasses your fame.

When I called, you answered me; you greatly emboldened me.

Yes! When we call on God, He does answer us. He pours His compassion and unfailing love on us. He listens carefully to our prayers. And, He saves us through the sacrificial gift of His Son.

He emboldens us to follow His perfect will for our lives and to do His work in this world.

He alone is worthy of our worship.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.