Friday, November 7, 2014

In What Do You Trust?

 

[Graphic of a sign]


“How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?”
—Psalm 13:1

Living in our current culture is like being caught in the middle of an angry crowd. I feel like I don’t want to be here. I’m surrounded by people, some of whom I know, others I don’t.

They’re fighting about, well, everything. Politics, entertainment, employment, their children, the traffic, the list goes on and on.

Some of the sweetest people I know hold views on certain matters that flabbergast me. And, they’re angry, so very angry with one another.

I feel swept along by this angry mob. I feel anger rising within me. How can sensible, normally caring people become so angry?

I feel I need someone to rescue me. I hear the words of the Psalmist echo through my mind from Psalm 13:1-6:

How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart?

How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death, and my enemy will say, ’I have overcome him,’ and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

But I trust in your unfailing love; because you have rescued me my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me.

This short Psalm encapsulates the cry of my heart at the beginning of this new day.

“Stop shouting! Stop fighting! Stop being carried along by the angry crowd of our culture! Rescue me, O God! Please save me from the foolishness of this world!”

As we begin a new day, let us examine our hearts to make certain we are investing the energy of our hearts and minds in the right “cause.”

Do politics matter more to us than the life-transforming love of God? Does being in the forefront of cultural trends hold more of our hearts and minds than investing ourselves in serving God?

Perhaps we need to be rescued.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.