Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Examing Who We Are

 

[Photo of nature with words superimposed]


“Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind…”
—Psalm 26:2

As believers in the life-transforming power of the risen Lord Jesus Christ, from time to time it’s helpful to examine on what or whom we rely.

Do we draw our strength and self-worth from our families? From our jobs? From those with whom we associate? From our education or lack of education? From the kind of car we drive or the kind of house in which we live? From the clubs to which we belong? From the church we attend? From the Facebook or blog posts we write?

King David set an example for us when he wrote the following in Psalm 26:2-3:

Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.

In these few words King David invites God to test him.

“What? Is David nuts? He’s asking God to test him?”

No, David isn’t crazy. However, he is quite confident in asking God to test him because David is relying on God’s faithfulness to give his life meaning.

Now it’s quite likely that we would not be so bold as to ask God to test us. But, we can learn to rely on God’s faithfulness to give meaning and value to our lives.

In fact, learning how to rely on God sounds like part of the way our Savior intends to transform our lives.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.