Friday, July 11, 2014

Imparting Patience

 

[Graphic of a sign]


 “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction…”
 —Romans 12:12

I’m a very impatient person. I’m not at all good at waiting. It’s not so much that I want instant gratification. Rather, I want things to happen quickly so I can move on to the next task. I’m very task oriented. I’m a work-aholic.

Part of our commitment to God, through the life-transforming power of the Lord Jesus Christ, involves bending our will to His will. We must accept the fact that His timing is perfect in all things. That means we must wait patiently on Him.

One of the tasks of the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete who comes along side us in our walk with Christ, is to help us learn patience. In writing to the church at Rome, the Apostle Paul shared these words recorded in Romans 12:11-12:

Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

The trials and afflictions that may enter our lives can help teach us patience. We can learn to trust God, to lean on Him, and to patiently wait for Him to act in our behalf.

 

Copyright © 2014 by Dean K. Wilson. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments: